Monday, August 23, 2010

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

I wish you could've been in my head today. I'm pretty sure you would've left at the end of the day thinking "schizophrenic". Today was orientation at Covenant Seminary. I had the sense of "I'm really going to do this" mixed with "This is exactly where I'm supposed to be" all at once. It was lovely. I was excited. It wasn't going to last. As we sat through orientation one of the professors pointed out that for the first month and a half we would have the same emotions one had when they went to church camp as a teenager. It's that feeling of elation at getting to study the word, making exciting discoveries about God and self, and getting to spend so much time around other believers who are equally excited to both grow in the faith and be a resource to others as they grow in their faith. He followed this comparison by saying "Then on about September 20th it's going to end." Now, I'm not naive. I had already figured out that the excitement I was feeling was part of the newness of it all and that it was probably going to end at some point. I just didn't expect it to end 4 or 5 hours after he made the comment. I figured I had at least a month, ya know. Be that as it may, I did not. The reason for the low after the high was related to circumstances totally unrelated to school and it wasn't even that big of a deal. Yet it still set the stage for God to remind me that I had a choice to make. He was reminding me of what He spoke last week---that He wanted the chance to surprise me with His provision---and He was calling me back to that decision I had made to trust Him. The bonus round of this challenge is He was calling me to trust that in the midst of my low. So as I finished my run up I told God I'm still all in, He just may have to give me a little more of an idea of what it looks like to trust Him when it comes to this situation with my apartment.

In other news, God did show me a way He has provided that was unexpected. I received a notification from my gas company in Indy saying they had miscalculated how much I was supposed to be paying monthly and they actually owed me $151. What THEY don't know is they probably figured it up exactly right (because the house I lived in was older and not the most stellar in the area of insulation) but God decided to use that venue as a reminder that He has all sorts of ways He can provide for me over the next 3 years. It's up to me to see it for what it is....another words, more than coincidence, more than a mistake that someone else has made (the gas co. in this case), more than an accident.

Alright, God.

1 comment:

Jannie said...

So interested in reading your blogs! I get ot see a side of you that you don't reveal when we are together-which is not frequent enough! I'm glad that you are letting God be in control-I know that He is going to show you great and marvelous things-or should I say He is showing you great and marvelous things! The unexpected check was one of many more! Love you and miss you and am praying for you.
Jannie