Sunday, February 17, 2008

Freedom or Oppression...

"Sometimes we stay in the known oppression because we're afraid of the unknown freedom."
This is a statement my pastor made in church this morning that really got my wheels turning. Well, it's pretty close to what he said anyway. As I go through this process of putting my life on hold for the next 5 months I see how I fit in with that statement. For the past couple years I've been very restless in my spirit. Though I love my job I've sensed that a bit of change from it might be beneficial. A few years ago if you told me I'd be leaving Indy and my church for this length of time I'd say "No thanks, I'm just fine where I'm at." Yet during this period of restlessness I've found that I'm actually just fine with leaving these places I love for a little while. Up until the past couple weeks that is. As exciting as it is to go on this adventure, as amazing as the opportunity to work with an organization with men and women who love the Lord and want to serve those who are broken and hurting, and as much as I'm anticipating the beautiful relationships I'll get to build there's a part of me that wants to stay in the places that not long ago I was ready to leave. Why? Because putting the life you've known for 8 years on hold is challenging. Doing what God calls you to do is not about to go without resistance. It's just not easy. Yet do I really want to stay in the oppression of restlessness and miss out on the freedom of the plan God has for me for this year? In my rational moments that's an easy question to answer. The trick is committing to it in my not so rational moments. God and His plans are worthy of my commitment regardless of how I'm feeling.

No comments: