Saturday, September 5, 2009

Are we there yet???

When I was growing up my family and I went on vacations every summer to somewhere in the USA. Since we're a family of 5 we didn't fly...we always drove. That made for a LOT of driving when travelling to places like Colorado. My sisters and I were the typical impatient car travellers (and if you've ever driven through Kansas you would know why), frequently asking the ever common "Are we there yet?" and "How much longer?" type of questions. My dad's response most times was on the lines of this "Sit back, relax, enjoy the ride and I'll tell you when we get there." A few years ago or so I was struggling with something that involved me not knowing answers about what was coming in the future. I can't remember the specific situation, but I do know for sure I wasn't doing so well with the waiting God was having me do. I know I was going to Him with similar questions of "how much longer" while also using the same whiny voice I used with my dad when I was trying to get him to give me answers regarding the proximity to our destination. As I was struggling with the waiting God reminded me of my dad's response. And then He made it clear that my dad's response was the same one that applied to my journey with Him. Well, I'm back on a journey of waiting again. I have brewing within me a significant restlessness that I really don't know what to do with. I believe I've started on a new journey to something new, and I'm yet again asking God "how much longer" before I get some new direction or instructions. And He's yet again giving me the same answer...."sit back, relax, enjoy the ride and I'll tell you when we get there". I'd like to say that after hearing God tell me that multiple times as I've entered new seasons in the last 5 years that I'm doing a good job sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the journey but I would be betraying my blog title if I said that. But then, tomorrow is a fresh day with a fresh start and a fresh attempt at enjoying the journey, and He did say His mercies are new every morning...so there's hope for me yet:)

2 comments:

Lair said...

Amber,

I guess one more "old saying", (not original to me) would be "Life is a journey, not a destination". Not much different than what I used to tell you, but gives a little different perspective. Don't focus too much on the future and miss the blessings of the present. If you do, all you'll end up with is a past and no present or future. Guess these aqre things that become more obvious when you start to get old.

Love,
Dad

Jannie said...

Hey, Amber. I haven't checked your blog for a long time. I really enjoy ready your philosophical thoughts. You are such a deep thinker! I enjoyed this one very much. It sometimes seems so hard to wonder where our life is headed and what God has planned for us. We just need to remember that He is awesome and He has great plans for you! Be patient and enjoy!!!
Love,
Jannie