Sunday, May 11, 2008

Am I the problem or the solution?

A few weeks ago I visited a children's village (or orphanage) in a more rural part of where I'm staying. The building is rather small and has a total of 4 rooms: 2 bedrooms, a livingroom, and a kitchen. The kitchen has broken down cabinets and large bags of bread sit on the floor since there's no storage space. There's no bathroom or bathing area--the one toilet in the house is actually in the middle of the kitchen. There's one bedroom for girls where 8 girls sleep in 4 beds. The boys bedroom is even more cramped with 4 sets of bunks stacked 3 high, 2 boys to a bunk for a total of 24 boys in one tiny room. 32 kids (plus adults) squished into one tiny house. Some of the windows in the house have holes in the glass which is problematic for the coming winter and the cold nights it will bring. The roof leaks in multiple places, rats run freely, and there's no running water. My encounter with this place left my heart broken and quite convicted. The greatest conviction came in the knowledge that each of the needs I saw in this house could be easily met with the great deal of resources available in the USA. A larger house with more room and the proper utilities could be built with little to no sacrifice on the part of any one person. These kids could get clean water daily as well as all the food they need without most people I know (including myself) even feeling much of a change in their lifestyle. Yet what happens? We get caught up in buying a bigger this or more up to date that, we HAVE to try out that new restaurant up the street at $15+ a person, and don't even get me started on what we shell out to see a movie in the theater. All the while these 32 kids are living in below acceptable conditions. If one of these children were one of our own or if it was a grandchild, niece or nephew or little cousin, would we consider this an acceptable way for them to live? Would we not sacrifice or rethink where our money went? So why should it be different just because it's a child whose face we've never seen with a name we've never heard? I realize I'm asking harsh questions and implying some bold things. I'm feeling the full weight of how what I've seen is going to affect how I live my life (and since I'm proclaiming it to the world I'm openning myself to some accountability...whether I want it or not:) ). I'm inviting you to explore your wallet as I explore mine. I'm asking you to ask questions with me: Do I really need _________? Is it worth my money to eat out again this week (or month) when I could be investing it in a place of extreme need? How can I be reinvesting what I have to make a longer term impact instead of using it for the temporary pleasure of dinner and a movie? I by no means have this figured out when it comes to what's ok for me to spend my money on and what's extraneous. I just know that a majority of the time I spend my money on temporary things while others suffer. I know that I can't think back to what I've seen since I've been here and not consider I need to change and seek to be part of the solution. I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, comments and/or criticism on this topic!

1 comment:

Jannie said...

Seeing a situation like that is very moving. It makes you want to do everything possible to fix it and also makes you feel so guilty to have so much when others have so little. There are so many in the world that are so deprived of so much. People are wanting to come to America thinking that everyone is so well off, but we have people here who are just as bad off. I am guilty of having way too much stuff and need to be a better steward. We can't cure the world, so we just have to do a little and hope that we can make a difference in some small way.