Tuesday, April 8, 2008

All in how you see things.



This is Fortune. He works at World Changers and will be facilitating life skills courses in the townships. I had a great conversation with him ast night about where he's come from and where he's going. He told me that he used to be heavily into gambling (by playing pool) and at some point began seeing that the life he was living was quite fruitless and without purpose. Then he attended a World Changers life skills course and later the leadership course and his suspicions were confirmed. He realized that God had more of a purpose for him than gambling to make a living. Now Fortune wants to be able to help others see they have a purpose as well. In particular he hopes to work with people with diabilities. As he talked about this vision of his, he said something that struck me. He said, "There is more than just physical disability. Everyone has some kind of a disability. There's something wrong inside all of us." I decided to find an official definition for the word disability. There were multiple definitions I chose 2. The first says this: state of being disabled; deprivation or want of ability; absence of competent physical, intellectual, or moral power, means, fitness, and the like. Another definition states: A disadvantage or deficiency...that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area. What I liked about this definition is that it mentioned "moral power". I couldn't agree more with Fortune that each one of us has some sort of diability within ourselves that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area of our lives. That could mean a person is unable to achieve all their goals at their job because of absence of mental or physical competency, or that they're unable to achieve peace in their lives because of a disadvantage of a bad life experience such as abuse. I also strongly believe that the only One who is able to turn our diability into ability is God. Over the past few years I've seen God take my own diability of depression (and some of the bad decisions that played a role in it) and turn it into the ability to encouarge others as they walk through depression. It's taught me how beautiful God is as a redeemer. Fortune views his life in this way as well. I love it. I know God is going to use him to be a great encouragement to many!
P.S.Yes, I know the picture is sideways but what would seem like an easy thing to fix really wasn't because Africa is messing with my computer a bit. So, just pretend like you're cocking your head as if you're confused and you'll be able to see it better:)

1 comment:

Jannie said...

I totally agree that we all have a disability of some kind. No one is perfect. Sometimes I think that a lack of faith in God to provide EVERYTHING is a disability. We don't always trust Him enough. At least, I guess that may be my disability. I think I would like Fortune. He sounds like a very sincere person.