Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Ugly Side

Being in an unfamiliar situation where you're forced out of your comfort zone can sure bring some ugly things out of a person. I have only one day under my belt and already I've seen something gross coming out. I hesitated to even blog about this but as my blog site is named "Bare Naked Truth" I didn't want to be a hypocrite or picky on what things I allowed myself to be "naked" about. So here goes. I'm seeing that I'm a very territorial person. (Right now my co-worker who used to be my desk neighbor is laughing as she reads this. She's seen some lovely, subconscious actions that show this trait in me.) Here's the situation that brought it out. I'd only been at WCA for about an hour and already someone was asking to borrow my camera. My first reaction "I don't know them. What if they're careless and break it?" I fought this instinct and let them borrow it, my insides curling as I watched them carry it away, out of my line of protective sight. Not long after I ended up where my camera had been taken. As I saw others using it and taking pictures the 4 year old inside of me screamed "That's mine!". Luckily the Holy Spirit is inside of me and was bringing conviction to these thoughts and I kept my thoughts to myself. This little lesson has made it abundantly clear that there's some grip loosening that needs to happen in the area of what I own. In reality, it's all God's anyway and I'm just borrowing it for a while. Who am I to not share what God has blessed me with? This issue of being territorial along with materialism is one that those of us in the USA (or any first world country) struggle heavily with. I'm seeing more and more what an oppressive thing this is. I'm grateful for this opportunity God is giving me to learn to loosen my grip on the things of this world that are temporary.

2 comments:

Wild She Goat said...

I think it is more control, than being territorial. We like to have control over what is ours. I struggle with this everyday as well. I see it most as being a mom, or a Fieldwork educator. I want my kids or students to be the best the can be, and I often interfere to make them do what I think is right, even when what they are doing is okay. It is hard to let go.

P.S. Thanks for the acknowlegdement (I am a bad speller).

Jannie said...

Wow! I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I understand your feelings of trepidation. I'm afraid I wouldn't have passed that test as well as you did. You have wonderful insight into the problem. It's hard to let loose of things that you've worked hard for, but you are right-they were just given to us by God and I guess we should be willing to share our blessings with others. Thanks for sharing that with us. The bare naked truth can hurt, but it's a lesson that must be learned.